Wednesday, July 11, 2012

It's a GO!

The final roadblock to my going on the Iceland Trek has been lifted.  I thought I would be overjoyed and ecstatic but that wasn’t the feeling I had, it was more like a feeling of ok, I got myself into this and there is no turning back now…I guess my biggest fear is that I am  not going to be able to keep up.  Partly because everyone at the Ontario training team meet was so fit and skinny! Then there is me, round and well, not as fit as they are.  Even though I have traveled overseas before and completed 20km days walking through the cities of Madrid, Koln, Bonn, Brussels and London often in heat that would kill you....….well it’s different.  I’ve never doubted myself or my abilities as much as I have now.  I knew I could raise the money and somewhere in the back of my brain I know I could complete the trek.  What I can’t really count on 100% is my body holding up.  I’ve been ill so much lately and it’s not just the arthritis.  I guess this is where they would say mind over matter.  I have to make up my mind and just do it.
Today I saw my Rheumatologist, at my last appointment I had 11 out of 18 joints in full flare up.  Today I had two (hip hip hooray!) but the two joints are in my feet, specifically the 2nd and 3rd toe joints thus the injections.  I have been given strict orders to stay off my feet for 24hrs absolutely NO walking but I had to do some so I very carefully walked on my heel and when standing stood like a flamingo, plus I sat as often as I could.  I HAD to walk, because I still had to purchase gear for the trek. 
My daughter and I drove to Barrie and went to Mountain Equipment Co op (MEC) where I was able to purchase my hiking boots, daypack, shirt and pants and pillow (a real necessity if you ask me) all for a measly $486.00…(remember everything is supposed to last a life time J ) Truthfully, I almost fainted at the price of everything…especially the $140.00 dollar jacket that is supposed to be wind proof….I think that one is going back, even though the colour is fabulous and it fits like a dream.  At Sport Chek I was able to get a pair of under armour shorts, no luck on the sports bra’s….Kat says go commando.  I am still waffling on getting the North Face duffle/backpack at Romakos.  It’s got a 42L capacity is water proof and in my favourite colour of late-neon green.  The downside…its $99.00 plus tax but…it supposed to last a lifetime right?  If I buy it I will pass it on to my granddaughter Zaagaasge, who seems to be a real risk taker and may have inherited my adventurous spirit  J I still haven’t decided but I did buy a beautiful puma duffle bag in baby blue…which I think will clash with my neon green daypack….Kat say think practicality not fashionality…teehee, I just want to match a little bit!
Ok so you all remember the list I posted before, here it is again this time the bolded words are the items I have…um two days before takeoff and I still don’t have everything.  This list has two purposes; one to show you how little I am taking and two to show me how far behind I am on packing J 72hrs till take off! 
  • Hiking boots
  • Underware 
  • Wicking T-shirt
  • Long sleeved shirt
  • Long Johns
  • Light wool sweater or fleece-
  • Trousers -have to get these hemmed.  Mom??????
  • Rain jacket with hood Thanks MOM!!
  • Rain Pants Thanks MOM!
  • Mittens
  • Hat or Balaclava
  • Daypack
  • Sleeping Mat
  • Sleeping Bag
  • Towel
  • Toothbrush/paste
  • Sunglasses
  • Sunscreen
  • 2 pairs of neoprene socks
  • Liner Gloves
  • Socks-
  • Rivercrossing shoes
  • Travel sack-
  • Water bottle-two collapsable water bottles-may get another one...hmmmm.
  • Sun/rain -I gots my Tilly!
  • Camera-need batteries and memory cards have to remember to pick up
So according to the list I am not doing bad...maybe.  Stay tuned and watch me pack tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment