Monday, July 9, 2012

The Time Draws Near

With all the drama of the missing money and missing forms plus my health issues there has been a real question as to whether I am going to make the Iceland Trek or not.  Well, the missing money was found.  The mystery of why the JIM Manager was not responding to my emails was all cleared up. **note-she was not on vacation or away ill....for some strange reason some of my messages were sent to her junk mailbox.  I think there is a lesson in this, always check your junk box and if your emails aren't being recieved call them. :) and instead of tracking down the forms I just called and left my credit card info.  So now it looks like all the barriers have been cleared.  With the exception of my medical clearance...which even though its been a rough couple of months I am still on the clear for take off list.  Final decision is Wednesday.

I was at a loss as to why some trekkers had already had their bags packed and I had yet to recieve my packing list...turns out it was in a newsletter I did not recieve but Jeff our fearless trek leader was quick to respond to my paniced call.

The packing list:


Hiking boot- I'm going to wear these on the plane cause if my luggage gets lost at least I have my boots!
Long sleeved shirt-thermal underware (hmmm thought it was supposed to be nice there)
Long Johns-again....getting scared its gonna be a cold one out there.
Light wool sweater or fleece-the fleece I have.
Trousers (2nd layer---I was going to bring my clam diggers, guess thats out of the question!!) Strong, light material that dries quickly, wind resistant and water repellent---do they make these kinds of pants in my size???
Rain jacket with hood-ummm, how many pound is this gonna be? Will a garbage bag do? LOL
Rain Pants-arrrg do they not realize I am not a small petite qwe?
Liner Gloves-umm getting worried again.
Mittens-really worried
Socks-got these-need one more pair- BUT 3 pair for 8 days????
Hat or Balaclava-guess its gonna be cold out there!

Other Gear

Day pack-to carry rain gear and food. 30-50 litres-approximate cost $129.00CA
Rivercrossing shoes- while I was away meeting the team a dog ran off with one of the shoes I was drying off.
Sleeping mattress-got it, cost $95.00 gonna last the rest of my life apparently.
Sleeping Bag-got it, cost $189.00 its down and it better be damn warm another thing that is going to last me the rest of my life..or so they say.
Travel sack-which is not a suitcase but a waterproof duffle bag that is less than 18kg when filled. $99 plus tax-still have to buy this (insert sheepish grin)
Towel-am not purchasing a teenie tiny towel for 40 dollars, just taking one of my old, old, old beach towels that is light but still absorbant and dries quickly.
Toothbrush-I remember buying these chewable toothbrush balls in the UK-I wonder where those are.
Sunglasses-got em.
sun protection-got it-thank you Lawerence/Marie Memorial Golf tournament
Water bottle-two collapsable water bottles-may get another one...hmmmm.

Other Optional Gear

Walking poles-nope not gonna get or take these-my wrists won't allow it.
Neoprene Socks-got em have to keep my feet and ankles warm or I am done for.
Gaiters-needed for snow-God Please don't let it snow while I am on the trek...Thank you.
Pen knife-no knives for me...I am sure someone will have one :) I'll just make friends and borrow.
Sun/rain hat or Cap-I gots my Tilly!
Camera-need batteries and memory cards have to remember to pick up

Hmmm, notice there is no soap, shampoo, toilet paper, wet wipes, personal medications (which will end up costing me about 2lbs!) and no mention of underware? What kind of trek is this? Oh yes....showers at base camp cost $5 US...when we were in Germany, we went three days without a shower...wet wipes were our friends...ok gross I know.

Keep looking back as I prepare and pack for this wonderful adventure!  I will also be carrying with me a beautiful notebook which I recieved from my daughter on mothers day.  I will be blogging up to the 15th of July after that I will not have access to the internet as I will be out in the wilderness of Iceland.  I will journal each morning before the day's trek and again each night before I go to sleep reflecting on the days activities.  When I return to the hotel on the 21st I will begin to transcribe my journal into this blog with the pictures I took along the way.

Clara


No comments:

Post a Comment