Friday, February 3, 2012

Weigh In

Today is the day.  Today I started my training for the Iceland Trek.  Not much of a work out but more of a beginning.  I got myself weighed at the Health Centre.  184lbs.  I am not pleased with the number but at the same time I am not overly disapointed either.  I've weighed a lot more in the past and I know that I will not weigh nearly as much in the future.

Crew from Germany, not ALL of us got to ride a bus!

9 years ago I went to Germany, I was far more overweight than I am now.  For six days I carried a 37lb back pack and managed to hike in upwards of 20km a day.  PLUS I climbed 425 uneven steps up the side of a mountain in Lorelei along the Rhine River....a real huffer and puffer.  My Sister and I took it easy going down the mountain by the road way. Did I mention SHE got to RIDE the BUS up to the top of the mountain while her much older and out of shape sister had to climb the stairs?  Jump ahead 6 years to this past July where I hiked throughout the streets of Madrid, Spain for 6 days at approximately 20km per day.  My back pack wasn't nearly as heavy as Germany but it weighed enough.

Taking a break after a long, long day in Madrid!
So, I wasn't in such great shape for either Germany or Spain but I will be for this trek.  I am not really sure of the terrain I will will be trekking through but you can be assured it will not be cobble stoned streets.  There are a few hills around here as well as the bluff that I will be using for my training.  I've already marked out a 20 km route and have timed my walking speed to be nearly 4 hours for the full 20km.  Not great but doable and I can definitely improve upon it. 

I had a flare up this past week that was a real kicker, it nearly knocked me on my bottom and it took me a few days to get back on track.  Man I hate those days when the pain is unbearable and all I want to do is crawl under the covers and whimper in pain, but I am back and on the attack....watch out world, here comes Clara!

1 comment: